Abolished compensatory use of costly expedited shipping
An automotive metal parts manufacturer was wasting time and money on expedited shipping to meet customer delivery expectations.
- Enhanced parts shipping process by linking to production scheduling data instead of inaccurate inventory data
- Improved shop floor communication and behaviors to identify potential delays before process deterioration
- Installed continuous improvement processes
- Modified forecasting tools to increase forward projection capability
- Increased available production time through formal cadence of weekly production scheduling processes and focused meetings for identifying reserved and confirmed production, shipping, maintenance, and engineering requirements
Results: Achieved 95% reduction in expedited shipping costs.